Monday, May 3, 2010

WeMustBeCursed's Definition for: The Doomsday Pessimist



Some fans just have clairvoyance when it comes to foreseeing the curse.

That or they're just pessimists.

I'm sure all sports fans at one point or another have felt a similar sinking feeling. Typically, this comes immediately after your team has just scored the go ahead or tying point, goal, touchdown etc. but has stupidly, stupidly left too much time remaining for the opposing team to come back. (As a Maryland Terrapin fan, you don't have to ask me for an example)

I'm sure Texas' fans remember this awesome play, but most college football fans do, right? As time slowly goes on, however, I'm sure only Texas fans will remember that this play happened with :19 seconds left, and that USC had a shot (even though a long one) to come back (jokingly addressed in a commercial for NCAA Football 08, which has been pulled from YouTube by EA for copyright infringement. Here's the TrojanWire website buzz about it). NFL fans will remember the Giants taking down the near-perfect Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, but I'm sure Giants fans remember best that there was still 35 seconds left for one of the greatest NFL offenses in history to make a stunning comeback. (Mets fans, try describing the feeling of handing over a tight lead to that great closer we let go)

It's simply a natural feeling, as long as it's limited to these situations. Some fans feeling the effect of a curse, however, will take this pessimism to a new level. I know of Red Sox fans who, after shocking the Yankees in Game 4 of the ALCS in '04, had convinced themselves the Red Sox were going to lose in the bottom of the ninth in game 7. Now, to this point, no baseball team had every overcome a 3-0 deficit, but you are just setting yourself up for misery there. Is the cushion of foreseeing your failure worth the torment of foreseeing it? (I bet eating your words must never have felt so good)

You know what I say? Have hope, Doomsday Pessimists, have hope. Other than the fact that this lifestyle can't be healthy, to tell you the truth, your pessimism can be annoying. We are with our teams through thick and thin. Would you go to someone and say, "You know what? I bet you as soon as I ask you to be in my bridal party we get into a fistfight that tarnishes our relationship... AND the whole ordeal leaves me with the best gift of all for my wedding"? I hope not, so fan up and suck up the fact that you're cursed.

Oh man, went out on a little of a limb with this post. I bet you in 3 months this blog becomes crazy popular, and everyone hates this post...

No comments:

Post a Comment